Homeowners in the UK who are thinking of buying a new fireplace for their living room are sure to have considered limestone at one point or another as it is an undoubtedly beautiful natural material. In addition to its aesthetic qualities, this relatively soft sedimentary rock boasts several other properties, that make it an excellent choice for all types of homes.
If you like the look of limestone fireplace surrounds but have been wondering whether they are a practical choice, take a look at the list we have compiled below. In it, you will find 5 very good reasons why many consider limestone to be one of the best materials for both standard and bespoke fireplace surrounds in the United Kingdom.
1. Easy to Carve – The fact that limestone is relatively soft means that it is easy for skilled stonemasons to work with when compared to other popular natural stones quarried in Gloucestershire and across the United Kingdom. If you tend to favour ornate designs when it comes to stone hearths, a limestone fire surround will be perfect for your requirements.
2. Affordable – Whilst not the cheapest option as far as materials for fireplaces are concerned, limestone is one of the more affordable of the natural stones available in the UK. This makes it a good choice for those who do not want to make sacrifices as far as style and quality are concerned but who are nonetheless keen to keep the cost of their new fire surround to a minimum. A limestone hearth will almost certainly prove to be a stylish and relatively inexpensive addition to your interior décor.
3. Popular – The popularity of limestone fire surrounds in the UK means they represent a sound investment for homeowners in all areas of the country and Gloucestershire is no exception in this respect. If it is possible that you will want to move at some point in the future, choosing to use quality limestone for a fireplace could make your property easier to sell when the time comes.
4. Durable – Whilst relatively soft as far as sedimentary rock is concerned, limestone is a very durable choice of material for a fireplace surround and, with a little care, will look just as good in 10 or 20 years’ time as it did the day it was installed.
5. Fire Resistant – This is one of the most important qualities to consider when choosing what material to have your surround made from and limestone fireplace surrounds for wood burners and open fires score highly in this area. In the event that stray sparks fly from a real fire onto the surrounding hearth, limestone will prove to be a very safe choice of material.
At Wrights of Campden, we work with a variety of different types of limestone and would be delighted to show you a selection of the limestone fireplaces for sale in our showroom whenever you are in the area. You can find us at Northwick Business Centre, Blockley, Moreton-in-Marsh, Gloucestershire.